21 July 2010

I disappoint myself when I don't walk, if not in the morning, at least sometime during the day. It's so odd; I love walking in the morning, feeling the breeze, listening to the birds welcome the first light and their first meal of the day. I love breathing the fresh air and being alone in the world, and I love saying "good morning, God." It's like being on a first-name basis with someone you have always admired. . . no, it's not LIKE that; it IS THAT! And I'm inclined to think that is precisely the relationship God would like to have with each of us. So I smile when I greet God in such a familiar way.

There is no other time of the day, or the week, when I connect with God like that. Prayer times aren't the same. Meditation time isn't the same. Calling on God because of a need or a problem, or to seek forgiveness are nothing like that morning greeting. Even calling on God just because of a desire to call on God isn't the same at any other time of the day. There is something special about saying, "Good morning, God." I wonder what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment