01 December 2010

What is a Dream?

Is a dream a desire? A fear? Is it mysticism?

Is it someone communicating with you? Is it a message from God? The Holy Spirit guiding you?

Knowing the answers to these questions might help us analyze our dreams. Without answers, we can only speculate about their meaning or remember them. I will choose the later.

I am sitting in a strange living room. Actually, it resembles the living room I have imagined my Great Grandparents Murray having. But why would a dream about their house, a place I have never been? At first, I am sitting on a hard chair around a table in the middle of the room. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, I move to a soft chair behind me, a recliner, I think. Two people are sitting on the couch to my left, and I think a TV is playing across the room from them.

Then one of them gets up, leaves the room, and then returns. When he returns, he walks over to me, faces me, and I recognize him. In my awake state, I acknowledge he was someone I have not seen in 24 years. His presence is so real that, in my sleeping state, I try to get up out of my soft chair to greet him, but my body will not move. It is asleep. My failure wakes me, and the image is gone, but the memory of this brief dream is as fresh as if it had really happened; happening just before I awoke. In the moment of my dream when I saw him, his face was so real, yet once I awoke, I could not remember the face in the same detail and freshness that I saw it in the dream. Now, writing this, I am still unable to see that face in the kind of detail that made it appear so real, so alive in that moment.